Saturday, May 11, 2013

USB Gamepad


First, some background:
So after reading an article on hacking keypads not too long ago, I got it into my head that I had to make use of that information.
Originally I was going to wait a while and buy some arcade buttons and a joystick but that gets expensive quickly. Then I realized there were quite a few old PC mice laying around and an Altoids tin sitting around waiting for a project. So now I've decided to build a simple controller for playing games like Team Fortress Arcade, or using with emulators. I believe I have everything I need atm, (aside from some leds, resistors, and paint but those can be added later) and I haven't spent very much at all ~$13

Here's what I'm working with:

  • Altoids Tin
  • USB Numpad
  • 6 Microswitches
  • 4 Tactile Switches
  • 2 Push Buttons
  • Perf BoardSome Plastic



Currently, I have a basic sketch for the layout, and the Numpad taken apart ready for tracing the button layout.

I'll update this post with a pic or two of the stuff going into it, but for now, my phone refuses. I'll update the thread as I make progress as well.

Part 2    Part 3

No comments:

Post a Comment